Saturday, December 26, 2009

Big Changes, Small Steps

If anyone still stops in, there's been a decided lack of postings. I started a full time job and found myself too exhausted to both blog daily and craft, and decided that I needed to devote all of my remaining energy to the things that matter most to me: cooking, laughing, sewing, loving. But, to keep any straggling readers up to date....

I'm now engaged! He proposed on the 1 year anniversary of our first date. Now, to plan a wedding! If anyone tracks my etsy picks (right column) you may be seeing some wedding items crop up. I'm sort of "collecting" them in there while I'm making initial decisions and getting a grasp of my palette and so forth.

You may also be seeing a lot of art popping up in there too. I've discovered that etsy is a wonderful and inexpensive way to collect art. Go figure. I've already started buying pieces slowly, as my budget allows, and am completely in love with what I've received so far. Currently I'm waiting on this amazing little piece to be delivered. I kicked off my collecting with a piece from Barb Plevan, my interviewee of October 8th. You can read the interview here, and can see her items here. Her items are delightfully tiny and detailed. I started off with 2 of her fish decoys, and my fiance topped off my collection with the rest of what she had for sale, so now I have a wonderful school of them swimming across our bookshelf (pictured).

Crafting updates: I sold my first etsy item, the Victorian-inspired adventure hat. Feedback from the seller: "WOW!!!! This is amazing!! It is absolutely period perfect!!! So lovely!! And you won't find a nicer more helpful seller!!! It was so carefully packed and quickly shipped! I have added this seller to my favorites and will be back SOON!!! Thank you so much!!!!" So far, it has been my only sale. I believe my aprons don't sell for several reasons. 1, I need a better camera to take more appealing photos, with a live model if possible. 2, aprons are exceedingly easy to make, so for the most part it's easier to just make your own than buy one. 3, there's a lot of cute detail that doesn't come across in a photo, so we've thought perhaps they would sell better at a craaft fair.

In light of all of this, I've decided to try something new. The hat was a project I'd carried a crystal clear view of in my head for over 2 years, and one day put together. I considered other things I'd had similar views of, and realized that for years now I've wanted to make a velvet magician's cape that was embroidered, appliqued, and beaded/sequined and had lots of pockets. Something with heft that just felt magical the minute you put it on. I've built the velvet exterior minus the hood so I can begin working on the embellishment, and have recently selected the lining fabric, a print of the starry sky on cotton. So that's what I'm doing. I'm also going to hunt around for more hats I can turn into amazingness again.


Have a wonderful holiday season and a happy New Year! <3

1 comment:

  1. Congrats on the engagement and what awesome feedback for a first sale!

    ReplyDelete