Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Project Updates

My Little Apron Shop

I have a shop on etsy.com where I've been posting my crafts for sale. Originally I thought I would focus on necklaces and handbags but have discovered a talent in myself for making aprons! Who knew? It's incredibly fullfilling to be doing things that are turning out well and that people seem to like.






On the Writing Front


I have a story in the mail. It's "Again and Again", which I sent first to a sci fi magazine called Analog but received a very imformative, and my first actual, rejection letter. It now has a place of honor on my bulletin board to remind me that I've taken the first step to being a published writer. It was just a form letter but it listed several reasons why stories might be rejected by the magazine, the first 3 or so being relevant to my story. I decided to do a focus shift for the story and sent it to another magazine that includes horror. I'm now waiting on a response.

I'm also working on a new story that Jeremy says, while not finished, is shaping up to be a much better story. He also thinks I'll be another 10 years before I finish my first novel, but I'm a little more optimistic. However, as long as I'm still writing and trying to get published, that's all that matters for the moment.

I'm really excited about tonight. One of my neighbors is in the U of Nebraska writing program (which I hope to get in to next year once I get residency) and invited me to an author reading tonight. It turns out that our newest neighbor, who moved into the apartment below her, is the author doing the reading! Wow! We've been invited to her apartment afterward for wine and cheese. I think this will be the first time in my life I'll get to experience an actual writer's community. I hope I don't spill wine all over myself!

No comments:

Post a Comment