Sunday, September 13, 2009

Dish of the Day - Vegetarian Masala Curry


Vegetarian Masala Curry

I'd always been intimidated by Indian curries, but I came across a recipe while reading a borrowed copy of Glamour magazine. It seemed simple enough, so I decided to give it a try. Of course, I changed it, like I change all of the recipes I do. I originally used chicken and chicken broth and got a great result, but my vegan friends have asked that I do something without meat, so here it is.

For those of you that want a meatier version, just use chicken broth and chicken in place of veggie broth and tofu. The key to the flavor is really the 4 major spices (pictured here). Be sure the chicken is cooked thoroughly before it goes in, though.

Ingredients

2 to 3 tbsp canola oil
veggies (i use 1 cup frozen peas/carrots and a handful of broccoli florets, but use your imagination!)
half block extra firm tofu, cubed
salt and pepper to taste
2 small white onions, cut into quarters and the layers separated
4 cloves crushed garlic
1 c chicken or veggie broth
1 c coconut milk
rice
cilantro
place the following spices in a small bowl, mix, and set aside until the recipe calls for it
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp group tumeric
1 tsp garam masala (i found at whole foods)
1 tbsp curry powder
dash of cinnamon

Directions

1. Start rice cooking.
2. In a large pan, saute onions and tofu on medium-low to low heat in oil until slightly brown.
3. Add garlic and stir.
4. Add broth, spices, and veggies. Stir thoroughly, then cover and cook at a low simmer until liquid is thickened, about 15 min.
5. Stir in coconut milk. Cover and simmer for about 5 min.
6. Serve over rice. Garnish with diced cilantro.

I add my salt and pepper at step 5 while tasting the sauce. That's your finished product, so you can adjust flavors easily if it needs a little more.

1 comment:

  1. That sounds so delicious! I love curries and try to eat vegetarian whenever possible. Will have to try it out sometime :)

    ReplyDelete